Sunday, December 16, 2007

Peak 7 now open!

I'm sitting here after another beautiful day of skiing at Breckenridge and decided I would like to share a story with you all. This is not going to be the story about the three-year old who refused, for over an hour, to put ski pants and boots back on after a potty break at Ski School yesterday. Rather, this is the story of Peak 7 and the Independence Super Chair opening at Breck on Friday. It seems that no other person on the mountain that morning knew this chairlift would be running, and I was the only one lapping this area for a solid 45 minutes. Just skiers left off the Independence lift there is a gladed black run known as the Ore Bucket. This was the first morning all season the Ore Bucket was open. Since we had received more than a few feet of snow this year, and the groomers cannot and will not reach this run, I was skiing in powder. Lot's of powder. Think of those ski movies where the guys pop out from behind trees and make awesome powder turns while getting splashed in the face with tons of snow. That was me for at least 6 runs. It took nearly this long for any other skiers to join me in this wonderland of snowy perfection. Around this time I headed home to clean up for my afternoon shift at The North Face Breckenridge. Despite the chilly temperatures in the single digits all morning, I was comfy with my Aurora Zip Neck and Momentum mid-layers under my shell, and my fingers were almost sweating inside my down-filled, waterproof Nuptse Mitts. I would include a few pictures for your viewing pleasure from that nearly epic morning, but I was having so much fun floating through the fluffy stuff that I plum forgot to pull out the camera. Perhaps you will have to venture up here to Breckenridge to see for yourself how great our skiing is this year! And stop into The North Face store on Main Street or visit BreckGear.com to get outfitted in the latest and greatest gear for your all your outdoor excursions.

No comments: